Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Big Bottom Backyard Money: Why?


I should say that I’m not one of the bankers-are-devil-spawn folks.  I’m not into Bilderberg and Rothschild conspiracy stuff, although given how far down the rabbit hole I’ve fallen since discovering Ron Paul only a year and a half ago, who knows where I’ll end up.
But the banking conspiracy stuff is in no way a motivation for my attempts to backyard my money.  Rather, I do not wish to give my money to folks who haven’t managed it well, whose sense of “good business practice” is shortsighted and reckless.
I’ve also come around to believing that our credit based monetary policy, planted and watered by the Federal Reserve, is stupider than most of the poor money decisions I’ve made — which is scary.
From just a bit of research, I’ve discovered that their are layers of backyarding money — from using conventional institutions but only dealing with ethical, sound companies to complete economic succession by dealing in barter and alternative money.
For my purposes and for now, I will start with the first layer.  I’ll endeavor to withdraw as much of my financial life as possible from scoundrel beggar banks.  Along the way, I’ll look for opportunities to withdraw support from institutions that engender the Federal Reserve System.
I start with the premise that the power of big beggar banks rests on the mountains of money they can pile on political campaigns, lobbying, evasion, and the like, and that the combined little bits of money from the Big Bottom could strip that power and transfer it to more comely, ethical alternatives.  It seems like an ideal Big Bottom Backyard operation.
A poster girl of the Big Bottom approach here is  Kristen Christian, a L.A. gallery owner, who got a little big mad at Bank of America and posted a facebook event encouraging her friends to pull their money from big banks and move it to local credit unions.  Bank Transfer Day grew from there and continues.
Watch an interview with Christian about BTD.
Join in on the BTD Facebook page.

L.A. Times article on the movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment